Artist Petra Collins has directed Selena Gomez’ latest video Fetish, a brazenly pared-back, glossy and soft-focus film showing just the singer’s mouth. Relying purely on a single shot, the video’s dreamy allure comes from its details: the twinkle of her earring, the sheen of her lip gloss, the movement of her lips and, occasionally, her manicured fingers. It accompanies the sultry track, which also features trap god Gucci Mane.
Petra recently curated an evening at New York’s MoMA, exploring the representation of the female body in contemporary and historical culture, including music. The filmmaker and photographer also previously shot Selena’s Bad Liar artwork, showing the singer lying on a bed wearing a hospital bracelet, as well as for Wonderland’s 10th anniversary cover in 2015.
She’s also directed videos for Carly Rae Jepsen and Lil Yachty, plus fashion films for Gucci Eyewear and Nordstrom. One of Petra’s earlier photo series, for which she became known for, is The Teenage Gaze, a personal project depicting the realities of youth.
- Cordova Canillas commission photographers to create a spot the difference illusion for Tunica
- Pictoplasma New York showed how character design can spread joy and important messages
- Lalita Lupina animates the inner turmoil and anxiety felt at an indoor swimming pool
- Meet illustrator Inji Seo's cast of curvy characters
- Riposte magazine meets graphic designer Sheila Levrant de Bretteville
- Nicolas Garner explores the clash of digital and organic in his hyperreal imagery
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner