Swiss graphic design outfit Studio Feixen redesigned the most-read daily newspaper in Switzerland, 20 Minuten, for just one day as part of a collaboration with Samsung. The studio worked with Swiss ad agency Jung von Matt, which ran the campaign to promote the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S8 in Switzerland and – instead of regular ads – pitched a one-off “design” edition of the commuter paper.
Layouts are overlaid with brightly coloured graphics, such as brushstrokes and dots, mimicking the swipe or tap of a thumb on a phone screen, and lava-lamp-like globules, that bring new energy to the pages. The studio was given complete freedom to customise the paper, and the designers’ dynamic identity comes through in the visuals and their accompanying articles, from vibrant highlights to red, angry scribbles.
The paper was published Friday 28 April to a mixed response, with some readers commenting on social media that elements of the design made the text difficult to read. 20 Minuten later responded on Facebook, apologising for putting readers through an “admittedly hard test”. “This design issue is an experiment as to how far the interplay between form and content can go. An experiment we will surely not repeat”.
Chief editor Marco Boselli explains in a short film about the project this is the first time the newspaper has revamped its whole layout for a one-off run, so “we wanted to create an iconic edition.. but it had major challenges”.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled