Before John Delaney launched himself at full force into taking phootgraphs, he spent the best part of 15 years working as master printer for photography icon Richard Avedon. No biggie.
John Delaney has become a serious dab-hand when it comes to his own projects and if his latest stunning series The Volunteers is anything to go by, photography is well and truly John Delaney’s thing.
Specialising in monochrome, the series beautifully documents the volunteers working at New York’s Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen. And while a soup kitchen setting would more than likely centre most photographer’s attention upon the attendees, it is John’s interest in the volunteers that makes his project really stand out and demonstrates his eye for documentary photography.
With the volunteers all working at the largest soup kitchen in New York City, the photographs expose the beautiful diversity in a group of strangers who – despite their obvious differences – come together for the greater good of others. From a muscular man, who judging by his pout can only be described as a wannabe model, to frail older ladies they couldn’t seem much more of a mis-matched bunch but they all share the common ground of wanting to help others.
- All we want for Christmas is... Best of the Web!
- A trip to The Greenbrier – a preserved 112,544 sq foot government nuclear bunker
- Dougal Wilson goes behind the scenes of the mischievous Channel 4 idents
- An international cast of creatives chooses the biggest moments of 2017
- Bake Off, legalising weed and Fanta's redesign: highlights from March 2017
- Vogue's new editor and a typeface for pride: a look back at April 2017
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Plain packaging and health warnings on food and drink could cost companies hundreds of billions
- Anxy Magazine: The Workaholism Issue explores the impact of working hard versus working compulsively
- Graphic designer John Morgan launches type foundry and art platform, Abyme