Oneohtrix Point Never, the musical pseudonym of electronic artist Daniel Lopatin, has directed his own music video for Black Snow, the first snippet from his upcoming record Age Of, to be released via Warp in June.
Daniel’s direction for Black Snow sees costumes, art direction, motion graphics and set design blend together in a film interpretation of the song, edging somewhere between creepy and slightly petrifying. Characters featured are donned in boiler suits with gas masks, introducing a protagonist in a devil like make-up working away at an overly messy desk.
The short then takes a twisted turn, filling with dry ice before a choreographed dance breaks out. Both terrifying and weirdly hypnotic to watch, Black Snow’s lyrics interpreted in Daniel’s video are noted to be inspired by Nick Land and a collective of artist-philosophers he co-founded in the 1990s named Cybernetic Culture Research Unit. Detail is elevated within Black Snow as illustrations and typography by David Rudnick – who has created the upcoming Oneohtrix Point Never album artwork shown below too – flash on screen sporadically.
Age of is Daniel’s eighth studio record and will see further exciting collaborations with graphic designer David Rudnick, including unique physical editions of the album too.
- Books From the Future talk us through its workshop on disaster in contemporary culture
- Molly Bounds paints intimate moments of quiet contemplation
- Friday Mixtape: Grand Union Orchestra's founder curates us a mix on the theme of migration
- Flat-e tells us how it made a visual interpretation of Daniel Avery's record in its entirety
- Girma Berta authentically captures the people of Addis Ababa with an iPhone
- Remember the pre-stage nerves and backstage stress in Alexander Coggin's photos of children's theatre
- Introducing The Graduates class of 2018!
- America's getting a space force and wants Trump supporters to choose its logo
- Swiss design practice Dinamo develops new visual identity for Tumblr
- Meet Adelia Lim, a graphic designer not afraid to poke a little fun at the industry
- Adobe has added 665 new Monotype fonts to Creative Cloud
- "What is my opinion?": Graphic designer James Aspey's research-focused, typographic practice