Oneohtrix Point Never, the musical pseudonym of electronic artist Daniel Lopatin, has directed his own music video for Black Snow, the first snippet from his upcoming record Age Of, to be released via Warp in June.
Daniel’s direction for Black Snow sees costumes, art direction, motion graphics and set design blend together in a film interpretation of the song, edging somewhere between creepy and slightly petrifying. Characters featured are donned in boiler suits with gas masks, introducing a protagonist in a devil like make-up working away at an overly messy desk.
The short then takes a twisted turn, filling with dry ice before a choreographed dance breaks out. Both terrifying and weirdly hypnotic to watch, Black Snow’s lyrics interpreted in Daniel’s video are noted to be inspired by Nick Land and a collective of artist-philosophers he co-founded in the 1990s named Cybernetic Culture Research Unit. Detail is elevated within Black Snow as illustrations and typography by David Rudnick – who has created the upcoming Oneohtrix Point Never album artwork shown below too – flash on screen sporadically.
Age of is Daniel’s eighth studio record and will see further exciting collaborations with graphic designer David Rudnick, including unique physical editions of the album too.
- Rosie Matheson’s series, Boys, explores the nuanced nature of modern masculinity
- Heavyweight Foundry on its pragmatic yet inventive approach to typography
- Illustrator Tim Lahan’s latest zine is an “ode to being self-destructive”
- Photographer Nick Ballon's series is a portrait of Bolivia’s second largest city and its people
- Photographer Olivier Degorce's new book lets you snoop in strangers' fridges
- Clean it, beach: Reto Schmid's new fashion series shines light on the plastic waste problem
- Custom Typefaces: are they worth the hype?
- Designer Marc Armand on graphically interpreting the French football team’s kit ahead of the World Cup
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Iconic film poster designer and illustrator Bill Gold has died aged 97
- "Football's Bayeux Tapestry": behind the scenes of the embroidered BBC World Cup trailer animation
- Matt Groening reveals characters from new animated series Disenchantment (well, partially…)