Oneohtrix Point Never, the musical pseudonym of electronic artist Daniel Lopatin, has directed his own music video for Black Snow, the first snippet from his upcoming record Age Of, to be released via Warp in June.
Daniel’s direction for Black Snow sees costumes, art direction, motion graphics and set design blend together in a film interpretation of the song, edging somewhere between creepy and slightly petrifying. Characters featured are donned in boiler suits with gas masks, introducing a protagonist in a devil like make-up working away at an overly messy desk.
The short then takes a twisted turn, filling with dry ice before a choreographed dance breaks out. Both terrifying and weirdly hypnotic to watch, Black Snow’s lyrics interpreted in Daniel’s video are noted to be inspired by Nick Land and a collective of artist-philosophers he co-founded in the 1990s named Cybernetic Culture Research Unit. Detail is elevated within Black Snow as illustrations and typography by David Rudnick – who has created the upcoming Oneohtrix Point Never album artwork shown below too – flash on screen sporadically.
Age of is Daniel’s eighth studio record and will see further exciting collaborations with graphic designer David Rudnick, including unique physical editions of the album too.
- Anyways animates the rich history of Soho and Spitalfields for Fora
- Christoph Niemann on the mammoth task of designing a mural with 20,000 tiles
- Cowboy-centric style and loaves of bread feature in Agnieszka Chabros' latest series
- “I've just always liked drawing people”: Haley Tippmann on her observational illustrations
- Miner magazine evokes a narrative around men in rabbit suits and internet celebrities
- José Castrellón documents the workers smuggling fuel from Venezuela into Colombia
- Working Not Working reveals the top companies creatives want to work at
- Mastercard reveals new nameless logo courtesy of Michael Bierut
- An egg beats Kylie Jenner to become the most liked Instagram photo... ever
- Sam Youkilis uses scale, form and colour to challenge the tropes of travel photography
- In praise of doing nothing: How to turn boredom into brilliant ideas
- WeWork gets a new name, and a slightly new look too