A team of four creative agencies has worked together with an in-house design team to rebrand The Scouts, adopting a tagline of “Skills for Life”.
Design agency NotOnSunday led the visual identity redesign, collaborating with The Scouts creative team to develop the brand guidelines including a new logotype and colour palette. The logo aims to “reflect a more relevant image of Scouting” explains NotOnSunday creative director Trevor Townsend, with a brand that is “fun and exciting while retaining strong links to its heritage”. This includes retaining the organisation’s fleur-de-lis emblem, which has been simplified to a line illustration to appear “more contemporary”, and to be more usable in print, fabric and digital.
NotOnSunday also developed a series of adaptable brand templates for the members of Scouts branches to apply. “The new brand aims to better communicate the character, employability and practical skills young people gain,” continues Trevor. “This will help raise public understanding and awareness of Scouting’s impact on members and their local communities. It also conveys belonging as the brand’s key emotional effect – with every member feeling a valued part of the UK’s largest youth movement.”
The Scouts also worked with 3angrymen on the brand film, Young on a strategy film animation (below), and FreshBritain on brand analysis. Kevin Yeates, head of creative at The Scouts, says: “The ambition of the Scouts rebrand is summed up in our new brand guidelines –problem solvers and team players. We assembled a unique bunch of creatives, supported by volunteers and staff to reshape our brand to better reflect our values and belief in preparing young people with the skills they need to succeed in life.”
- Will Anderson on his Bafta-nominated animation, Have Heart
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Friday Mixtape: Thomas Pratt curates a mix for a night out in the Bahamas
- The spontaneous, saturated and energetic portfolio of photographer Anton Gottlob
- Alexander Mourant's photographs trace a road-trip he took down the length of Africa
- Video artist Natalia Stuyk on crossing from the digital to the physical world
- Google Creative Lab's animated series tells the story of iPhone users who tried the Pixel 2
- Photographer Michael Northrup’s striking new book is a visual timeline of a former relationship
- The Scouts rebrand aims to reflect a “more relevant image of Scouting”
- "Something bold, something pure" – the 50-year long legacy of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Yishu Wang's wonderfully disorientating photography
- Airbnb launches new bespoke font Cereal, designed with Dalton Maag for online and offline fluidity